10/22/08

MOVIE REVIEW - American Gangster


The 70's are cool this year. And I am not talking the John Travolta, Doobie Brothers 70's. I'm talkin the soulful, sexy, afro puff 70s. I am talking naked chicks with afro's cutting up dope, Muhammad Ali in his prime, Serpico running havoc on corrupt cops, this is were "cool" began. And like Jay-Z's cd titled the same, American Gangster represents that era perfectly! This is a cool movie.


Soulful, smooth, wonderfully acted, predictable yet still suspenseful in its story telling, classic. That's how I'd describe this movie. Russell Crowe is always, ALWAYS, great! And Denzel, well its just nice to see him NOT playing a cop for once. He does an excellent job! In fact I found myself wishing he was on the screen more often. And while this movie may not have the heart-pounding violence like a Goodfellas or Scarface, it holds its own in the Gangster dramas.


In what seems to be a year of disappointments at the theatres, American Gangster is one of the best I've seen this year!


Final score, on a scale of 1-10: I give this a 8.5

No comments: