8/5/09

500 Days of Summer

I have no (good) explanation as to where the hell my reviews have been… reviews for, oh gee, movies like Oscar winner Slumdog, or Drag Me to Hell, which literally felt that way for 2hours- and not in a scary way but a painfully bad way. I mean I can’t believe I didn’t even write a review for the new Transformer’s movie…

All I can say is, I write when I am inspired. And after seeing 500 Days of Summer, here I am writing again. This is a movie that I wish I made myself! It has just the perfect balance of smart and witty but still real and believable characters. The plot is so clichĂ©- the “new take” on the boy meets girl love story- yet this movie is just that, an original, fresh way of telling that same old story (actually it’s just a boy meets girl story).

But the true star of this film, the real source of my inspiration comes from 3 simple letters: JGL. This is the point where the line gets drawn. This is his break out performance that allows me to make this next statement with confidence: Joseph Gordon Levitt is the real actor of his generation. And I don’t mean that as a knock at shia. I am a shia fan! But JGL is picking roles that showcase his talent and range as an actor! And in 500 days he matures from the “indie” costar, in to a real movie star, with the charisma and likability that cannot be taught! The dude is just cool, and so is this movie. JGL is on his way to be the next Edward Norton or Johnny Depp, and if he continues with the diversity in his role selection - he just might be the next LEO.

JGL is head of the class for the next generation of actors. If you don’t believe me, see 500 Days of Summer. And then watch transformers (again) and see which one you feel inspired to write about.

6 comments:

PWeekly said...

A funny, seductive, and surprisingly honest dramatization of the ways we force ourselves into incompatible love. Superb acting and a kick ass soundtrack.

But nobody tops Shia.

Anonymous said...

Loved it!

Dave said...

I really want to see this!

Anonymous said...

How long were JGL's fingernails in this movie?

Hil said...

Zooey Deschanel is to Hil as Shia LaBeouf is to PWeekly.

PWeekly said...

LOL! Love it Hil.